In conducting the search for an investment or acquisition, sophisticated organizations establish high-level criteria that need to be met before they move forward. Before completing a transaction, they satisfy themselves that the proposed transaction meets their strategic objectives. They also evaluate and refine the post-transaction strategy for the target company to ensure that it is not only doable but also will deliver the expected results.
Astute Diligence has a team of experienced strategy consultants who can assist with these strategic assessments. We start with intense discussions centered around a series of diagnostic questions that ultimately let us understand the questions that need to be answered, issues that need to be resolved, and the full range of possible outcomes. We then complete the iterative fact-finding and analysis that is required.
During this process our communication with you regarding our findings is ongoing. When the project is complete, we will have prepared a series of end products for you. Depending on the nature of the engagement, final deliverables may include the following:
- Strategic Criteria Analysis. We juxtapose your investment or acquisition criteria against the target company's attributes and objectively summarize the strategic fit.
- Strategic Landscape Analysis. We evaluate the structural elements that affect the target company and its likely post-transaction performance. We identify and discuss general industry trends and characteristics, barriers to entry, competitors and the basis for competition, suppliers and their power within the industry, customers and their attributes, and substitution threat.
- Go-Forward Strategy Assessment. We review the proposed go-forward strategy and compare it against the world of possible strategy alternatives, including those that have been adopted by competitors. We ask a series of diagnostic questions, such as "Does the strategy we are pursuing fit well with our skills profile?", and determine key issues and risks that should be addressed.
- Financial Objectives Assessment. We conduct a high-level financial analysis that reviews historic performance, highlights key drivers of financial and operating performance, and identifies key assumptions for future forecasts. We use this analysis to identify important issues concerning the transaction's financial objectives.
- Numerous Other Strategic Analyses. We utilize many analytical methods and tools, the results of which will be made available to you at the end of the engagement. These diagnostic approaches ensure high-quality consistent analysis that will pinpoint key insights and issues related to the transaction.